The Benefits of Upselling
Take full advantage of your leads and service visits
by Wayne Tracy, Operations Manager
Are you taking full advantage of your leads and scheduled service visits? Advertising and obtaining a customer is very costly and you have to be sure you get the most of every opportunity by offering your prospects and customers additional services and products.
When establishing your duct cleaning prices, be sure the customer is made aware of what is included in your advertised or quoted pricing. When offering the additional services or products, be sure they are clearly offered as add-on or optional items. You don’t want your customer to feel mislead or think they must have the optional products or services. Offer them by explaining the benefits of each product and service.
You never want to be a bait & switch contractor (offering a service then not providing what you initially quoted or changing the level of service or pricing). There is nothing wrong with a legitimate UPSELL. You’re constantly being up sold in the marketplace everyday. Go to a fast food restaurant and they often offer to super size your drink or fries. Get an oil change and you are offered up sells such as wipers, radiator flush, etc. Get a haircut and you are asked if you want a shave, shampoo, etc. – the list goes on and on.
One of the keys to being successful in up selling is to know your products and explain the benefits to your customer. Be sure your staff, as well as you, is fully familiar with the products and services you offer. Bundling products and offering discounts can also help you be more successful.
With air duct cleaning, you have many optional services to offer your customer. The following is a list of services you can add to your basic duct cleaning package if not already included:
- Air Handler Cleaning (includes cleaning of evaporator coil & blower area)
- Condenser Coil Cleaning (the outside coil)
- Fogging of Sanitizer, Deodorizer, and/or Soot Set
- Dryer Duct Cleaning
- Bathroom/Laundry Room Exhaust Duct Cleaning
- Video Inspection Services for suspected duct problems (leaks, disconnections, etc.)
- Filter Maintenance Services
- Gas Chimney/Fireplace Cleaning
- Grill & Register Cleaning
In addition to optional services you should also have optional products to offer your customers. The following is a list of products available to all of our contractors for resale to your customers:
- Electrostatic Air Filters
- ZAP Electrostatic Filter Cleaner
- Carbon Odor Control Products
- Solid Odor Control
- Quiet Breeze Ionic Air Purifier
- Ultra Violet Light Air Purification System
- Clean Breeze Automatic Aeresol Air Purifier with 4 Fragrance Options
- Vent/Register Filters
- Roxy Odor Neutralizer
- Kool Wrap AC Condenser Filters
Our website has lots of information on these products and services. If you are up selling products, be sure each truck has samples and brochures on board to show to your customers.